Today we've taken a giant leap forward by significantly upping the stakes on Blingo. Now you have the chance to instantly win everything from a new Ford Mustang to $5,000 to a movie ticket -- all just for searching the web on Blingo. As always, there's no spam and no tricks. Just search the web and win prizes -- instantly.
We're not through yet, so look for more big changes over the coming months (and even bigger prizes)!
Best of luck,
The Blingo Team
Thanks for supporting Blingo. We're pleased to say that we're growing. That means we win and you win. We get to run a fun website and you get even more prizes. This month we've doubled the number of big prizes, like iPods and PSPs, and added iTunes to the mix. Every movie ticket now comes with the option to choose a $10 iTunes gift certificate.
The Blingo Team
Lots of people ask us this question. One clever user simply sent us this email:
250 millon people live in the United States of AmericaI get it. We'd like to let people from other countries use Blingo, but it's a bit complicated. The issue is that giving away lots of prizes like we do is regulated by laws that vary from state to state and country to country. These laws require us to submit certain information about our prizes and, in some cases, we even have to file bonds guaranteeing that we'll give away the prizes we say we're going to give away. If we expand to other countries we'll have to do even more of this stuff. We're just not ready to deal with the time and expense yet. But someday we will be.
5.75 billion people don't
Of them 750 million speak English as native speakers
Blingo does not send spam (our regular users know this is true) and we don't want our users sending spam either. If somebody complains to us that you're using spam to sign up Blingo Friends (whether via email, posts on message boards, or other means), then we're going to ask you to stop it. We may disconnect your account too. Spam makes us look bad and it doesn't work very well anyway. Here's our "official" position on spam from our Terms of Service:
Blingo Friends is designed to encourage you to invite people to use Blingo. We encourage you to invite people you know via email, to invite people that visit your website and/or weblog via a Blingo link, or to invite people via other user-friendly and legal practices. We do not encourage you to send email to people you do not know (i.e., spam) or to post your Blingo Friends link in Internet communities where it may be considered a "spam" posting by members of that community. We reserve the right to disqualify and remove any Blingo Friends registrant for engaging in any action or practice that reflects poorly on Blingo or otherwise disparages or devalues Blingo's reputation or goodwill.
We get a lot of emails from people wondering when they're going to get their prize (even though we have this information in the Rules, the winning email, and the Contact Us page). Here's the way it works:
- Officially, we have to send you your prize within 6 weeks after the end of the month you won the prize in. That means, for example, that if you win on May 1st, we have until the second week of July to mail you your prize.
- In practice we send prizes much faster. For example, we've already mailed Movie Tickets to people who won in the 1st two weeks of May and we just mailed most of this month's premium prizes (e.g., Gift Certificates).
- There is an exception. We have to make sure each win complies with our Rules, so if our system flags your win for review it takes longer to get your prize.
We are working on sending prizes even faster. I'd like to see everybody get their prize in 1 to 2 weeks, if not sooner. That would easily beat any other giveaway I know of (most are at least a couple months) and would be almost as fast as the free shipping option on Amazon! I think that's pretty darn good for free stuff. I hope you do too.
If you won a Blingo Movie Ticket prior to April 19th your ticket was mailed yesterday (tickets won between April 19th and 30th will go out early next week). We plan on getting your prizes to you even sooner in the future.
In case you're wondering here's what a Blingo Movie Ticket looks like.
Enjoy the show!
When we first hatched the idea for Blingo one thing was obvious -- we wanted to partner with Google for our search results. The answer to the other important aspect of Blingo -- what prizes we should give away -- has never been as obvious.
People would probably be surprised at the amount of time we spend obsessing over the prizes we offer (after all, it looks pretty simple). But there are lots of issues, and the bar is high for a Blingo prize :) We've even developed some basic principles that help us decide on the prize pool. A Blingo prize should:
- be something that just about anybody would want, hence the reason we tend to have the most popular new gadgets along with music and movie-related prizes
- come with everything you need to enjoy the prize, hence the reason we give you a TiVo with a year of service included (vs. just the TiVo box)
- be small (like a movie ticket) or medium (like an iPod) vs. large (like a car). We can give away more prizes this way and let everybody have a real chance at winning (we did give away a Plasma TV one month, but in general we'd rather give away 15 iPods vs. that one TV)
Another thing we do is offer a gift certificate option. If you win an iPod (or anything except a movie ticket) and you don't want it, you can choose an Amazon Gift Certificate instead.
We're always looking at new things (like iTunes) and would love to hear from you if you've got any prize comments or ideas. Just send me an email and I'll take a look.